Equal amounts of fruit and sure set Sugar
That’s all you need!
- Put a saucer in the freezer (to test jam later)
- Sterilize jars and lids(In boiling water or in the oven for 5 minuntes)
- Put the fruit in a wide pot and place on the heat.
- Put the sugar in a metal bowl or heat proof dish and place in a moderate oven for 5 minutes (So as not to bring down the temperature when added to the fruit later)
- Mash up the fruit a little with a potato masher.
- When the fruit comes to the boil add the warm sugar.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved (not gritty at the bottom)
- Let it come to the boil without stirring.
- Take out the chilled saucer and put a teaspoon of the hot liquid on.
- Give it a minute, then push your finger up the middle of the liquid, if it wrinkles it’s done. If not, keep chilled and try again in 1 minute.
If doing small amounts it should only take 1-3 minutes of boilingSo, get picking, they won’t be around forever!
One more tip for perfect Blackberry picking – blackberries should have a green dot in the center when picked.